This paper briefly describes the importance of prepress proofing and the analysis of the shortcomings of prepress proofing
“Plate-making proofing”, which is a very important process in the front-end printing process, is provided by the plate-making center to designers and users, is a powerful means to control the quality of printed matter (mainly color quality), and is a means to check the quality of plate-making film, and is used by users to confirm and sign, that is, to sign the contract samples. However, plate making proofing has some inevitable shortcomings:
1) the proofing quality is unstable. First, due to the influence of humidity, the ink absorption of paper is inconsistent due to different humidity; In addition, due to the influence of human factors, the proofs typed by different operators will be different, and even if the same operator outputs the same proof for many times, the proofing quality will be different.
2) The manufacturing cost is high and the cycle is long. Once the proofing effect fails to meet the customer’s requirements, the plate-making company must modify, re-print the film and proof again until the customer is satisfied and sign for confirmation. In this case, it will increase the cost of plate-making companies, resulting in a decline in operating efficiency and even a loss. In order to avoid multiple films and increase costs, some plate-making companies will intentionally and artificially change the proofing color, resulting in the difference between dot density and proofing color, so as to achieve customer confirmation and signature, but it will bring difficulties and increase costs to subsequent printing plants.
3) Large investment: The initial investment of traditional proofing system is as high as hundreds of thousands or even millions (prototype, printing machine, stamping machine and punching machine).
4) Large floor space: The traditional proofing system needs a large workshop, which will produce a loud roar of machines and pollute the surrounding environment and air.
5) Not suitable for the development of printing technology: With the development of science and technology, the printing industry is increasingly adopting new digital technologies to improve its competitiveness. From DTP (Desktop Publishing System), which is widely used, to CTP (computer-to-plate) and digital printing press, etc. Traditional proofing methods can no longer meet the needs of new technology development, especially the requirements of CTP and digital printing press.